XIV – XX Century. Canterería Square
Bellaguarda Tower was built over the remains of an old defensive tower which is a historic witness from Altea Medieval Age. Part of the fortification of which we have information existed near a populated Christian core from the 14th century and it was working in the 16th century. In 1990 a deep remodelling was made in order to clean up and beautify Canterería Square. This remodelling also includes a non-historical reconstruction of the tower, where the viewpoint that can be seen nowadays was built. The tower and the habitat to which was attached would occupy a quadrangular space which is formed by the current Canterería Square and the houses that surround it; this was represented on Francisco Ricaud’s drawing dated from 1740.
(This information is published in the Guía de Altea by J. Miguel del Rey)